As Covid-19 continues to spread and public health officials have offered guidance for schools, the Alcorn School District is taking the following steps in our public health response to protect our students, staff and families:
All of our schools will be closed Monday, March 16th through Friday, March 20th, 2020.
Upon return to school:
- Requiring students and employees who have traveled on a cruise ship or out of country quarantine themselves for 14 days before returning to school; Students or employees who will not be returning to school for at least 14 days because they have recently traveled on a cruise ship or out of the country should notify their school and/or supervisor immediately
- Canceling all out of state travel for students and employees until further notice
- Limiting assemblies and large group gatherings, including field trips which will be evaluated on a case by case basis
- Limiting visitors to school campuses until further notice
- Adding hand sanitizer in hallways
- Emphasizing importance of hand-washing with students and staff, increasing number scheduled times during school day for students to wash hands
- Cleaning high-touch surfaces routinely, including desks, doorknobs, light switches, and other classroom surfaces
- Disinfecting deep-cleaning schools and offices weekly
- Following guidance from MHSAA about athletic programs
- Collaborating with Alcorn County health officials
- Following guidance from Mississippi State Department of Health and Mississippi Department of Education.
We encourage our students, staff and families to be mindful of key preventive measures that are always recommended to prevent the spread of respiratory viruses.
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
- While sick, limit contact with others as much as possible.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands; germs spread this way.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub with at least 60% alcohol.
- Please remember that if children are sick, they should not be at school. Students need to be fever-free for 24 hours before returning to class after any illness. Keeping children home when they are sick is critical to prevention.
- IF YOU FEEL SICK with fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, and have traveled on a cruise ship or out of the country or were in close contact with someone with Covid-19 in the 14 days before you began to feel sick, seek medical care. Before you go to a doctor’s office or emergency room, call ahead and tell them about your recent travel and your symptoms.
As a school district, we will continue to monitor the situation and take guidance from the Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Thank you in advance for supporting our efforts to help protect the health of our school community.
Alcorn School District